The VCU Cabell First Novelist Award Committee announced mid-June the semi-finalists for the 2017 award:
- The Wangs Vs. the World by Jade Chang (Mariner Books)
- Everyone Loves You Back by Louie Conin (Gorsky Press)
- Here Comes the Sun by Nicole Dennis-Benn (Liveright)
- Champion of the World by Chad Dundas (G.P. Putnam’s Sons)
- What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell (Picador)
- Hide by Matthew Griffin (Bloomsbury USA)
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi (Knopf)
- The Nix by Nathan Hill (Vintage)
- Stork Mountain by Miroslav Penkov (Farrar, Straus and Giroux)
- One String Guitar by Mona de Vestel (Harvard Square Editions)
- Neon Green by Margaret Wappler (The Unnamed Press)
- Dancing with the Tiger by Lola Wright (Marian Wood Books)
Thanks to everyone who read and submitted reviews of books.
The next phase of the contest: The committee, which consists of faculty and staff from the VCU Department of English and other units around the university, read the semi-finalists, discuss and select three top contenders to share with a panel of external judges, including last year’s winner, Angela Flournoy.
Be on the lookout for an announcement about the finalists in the next couple of weeks and then the announcement of the winner later this summer.