The general program application deadline for fall admission is March 1. The deadline for spring admission is November 15. All fall applicants for full-time admission received by the School of Graduate Studies prior to January 15 will be considered for possible graduate assistantships as well as the Craig Sirles Masters in English Scholarship (note: GTAs and the Sirles Scholarship are awarded for fall admits only).
Regardless of the semester, or whether you are applying before or after the January 15 deadline for graduate funding, all applicants should submit the following items via the VCU Online Application:
- An application to graduate study, including the application for Virginia in-state tuition (these applications are electronic and can only be accessed by logging-in to the VCU Online Application).
- The 65.00 application fee (payable by credit card through the VCU Online Application). In certain cases, VCU may waive the fees for applicants that work for certain non-profit programs, including those that work for AmeriCorps. Please see the appropriate section on the online application where you can make such a request/identification.
- A personal statement (statement of purpose) which addresses the following questions:
- Your career goals and how the graduate program would help you meet those goals
- Prior work and life experiences related to your interest and aptitude for the program
- Your perception of your intellectual capability to successfully complete the graduate program
- Information about academic honors or professional awards, including scholarships, fellowships, prizes, honorary society memberships, publications, inventions or other creative work
- Three letters of reference from people who are qualified to give information concerning your probable success in graduate school (At least two of these should be from academics (former professors) who can specifically address your qualifications for an assistantship and potential to teach.)
- The names, titles, and email addresses of your recommenders should be included in the VCU Online Application. Once your application has been submitted, VCU will contact your recommenders directly for an online letter of reference.
- An academic writing sample ranging from 10-20 double-spaced pages. Longer writing samples should be edited to conform to the 20 page maximum. Ideally, this writing sample should reflect the interests discussed in your statement of purpose. Please note: required writing samples may be emailed directly to email@example.com.
- Transcripts from each institution you attended. Unofficial transcripts may be uploaded onto your online application; however, official transcripts will be required if you are admitted.
- Official scores for the GRE General Test. We do not require applicants to take the subject test.
Les Harrison, Director of the MA Program
Thom Didato, Graduate Programs Advisor