- First Cohort of Distinguished English Majors Presented Their Research
- Faculty Feature: Adin Lears
- Faculty Feature: Matteo Pangallo
- M.F.A. Alumna Spotlight: Patricia A. Smith
- Tinashe Mushakavanhu, Ph.D., to Give Lecture “Lost Titles, Hidden Histories”
- Interview with Editor Jenna Johnson, Prior to the 2019 VCU Cabell First Novelist Award
Welcome to the VCU Department of English!
The Department of English, the largest humanities unit at VCU, offers a range of undergraduate and graduate degrees: a BA in English, an MA in English, and an MFA in Creative Writing; it is also a core unit for the interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Media, Art, and Text. This diversity of programs meets a wide range of curricular needs and interests at all educational levels. We are a welcoming and inclusive department that offers innovative and interesting classes.
The BA in English provides students with the critical, expressive, and cultural skills necessary to negotiate life in a competitive world: it constitutes a base for graduate study as well as for careers in a variety of professional fields. The department also offers undergraduate minors in English, Creative Writing, Editing and Publishing, British Studies, and American Studies. Students additionally have opportunities to pursue independent studies or internships in social media, with Blackbird (our online literary journal), or any other related field. Those particularly high-achieving students seeking an opportunity to write a scholarly, creative, or scholarly/creative hybrid thesis during their senior year can apply to pursue the Distinguished English Major.